Friday, June 6, 2008

To worry or not to worry

We all have things that come up in our lives that will cause us to worry. We worry over our bills, over our kids, over our husbands, over the noise the car is making, so many things. When these things happen we make a decision...often an unconsious one...but a decision nonetheless. We choose whether or not to turn those worries over to God or to hold on to them. If we turn them over to God they are no longer our's. We don't have them to worry over any more. We can live free of worry. We can have the peace that only God gives knowing that all will be taken care of in God's timing. How often though do we turn them over to God but hang on to a little piece of that worry? Do we say "Hey God....i'm gonna give you all of these problems...but this one right here...the one with my daughter...i'm gonna hold on to it...i have given you so much...i'll just worry about it a little longer." and then wonder why we have no peace? Are we feeling stressed over all these small things in our lives when God is there saying "I'll be the bearer of your burdens"? WHY? Why are we doing this to ourselves? Why do we let ourselves be stressed and worried and feel all these things? Why do we turn all the little things over to God and know he can handle it but hang on to the big ones like we can fix them? We can't! We know we can't! I know that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Phillipians 4:13 tells me that. It does not tell me that I can do all things with my own strength because I don't need God. I'm not made that way. I know for certain that i could not have made it through this week if i had not have had God on my side. There is a reason I was in church when i got the call I got this week. There is a reason I was in the prayer service at church when i got that call that 3 soldiers in my husband's unit were killed. God had me where i knew I would be getting the strength i needed. Where i could go before my church immediately and tell them what i needed and they could be in prayer at that very moment. Within 10 minutes there were literally 100 people praying for my husband's unit simply because of me being where God put me when i got that call. I could easily sit and worry over my husband and all of our friends this week. And next week as he goes about his business and in the coming months but i choose not to do that. I choose to turn it over to God. Not hang on to the little pieces and worry over them. God says he carries us through all our troubles and burdens not just half of them. Personally i like the thought of being carried by God. Sounds kinda nice and makes me feel a lot less tired!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Thank You Kim! You are so right! I tend to hang on to things at times - like say - the money it will take to move - lol. Then when I pray about it and "work" on putting it in God's hands - I am starting to feel more free about it. I am sure I haven't completely given it over to him yet.

I am so thankful to hear that God carried you through the really rough week you had last week.

Anonymous said...

we all need God and it is normal for us to worry though we should not hang on to things that depress us.

..............................
jim dunn

Christian Drug Rehab
Christian Drug Rehab/