Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oh You Gotta Have Friends

Lately I have come to realize that surviving deployment can not happen with out friends. I need these special people in my life to call when I am having a bad day. I can call them for a laugh, or to whine, or to ask for prayer. Each of them are there for me. At the same time, I am also there for them. They can call me for any of the same things that I call them for any time day or night. We each find friends in different ways. Some we have had since our school days. Some we have met since we started this military roller coaster. Some we have online only. Some we feel more connected to and can talk to more openly and some are for fun times more than stressful times. But we still have friends. And our friends help us so much. I thought about this after I spoke with one of my confidant friends last night. I have come to realize that I can tell her anything. We have only met each other online but she is so easy to talk to about any thing. I talked to her last night simply because I have been having a difficult time recently and reached a point that I needed someone to know. Just telling another person can help so much. They can talk you through it, let you vent, and pray for you. And when they have been through this before, they can offer some really sound advice. All too often we encounter people in our daily walks who tell us "Call me if you need anything". But we never call them. We don't know if they really mean it. They should have been more specific when they offered. I can't just call out of the blue. Most of the time (not always, mind you) but MOST of the time, they do mean it. They really want to help. They aren't specific because they don't know what your need may be, but they do mean it. I am so guilty of not calling and asking. I bring more stress on myself because I won't just ask! The worst they can do is say no, sorry, I can't help you. And if that's what they say, then that's fine. Now you know. But more often than not, I'd bet they are waiting on an opportunity to bless your family. Don't take that opportunity from them! Let God bless you through them! We all need our friends. We need them for help, for talking, for laughing, for crying, for praying. Call yours today. Let them bless you! You just might be a blessing to them in return without even knowing it!

No comments: